The second Oak Street School, Oak at West New York Street, Aurora. The original building was built in 1867, but it burned and was rebuilt in 1906. Nancy L. “Nannie” Hill was the school’s principal from 1909 until 1928. After her death in 1928, the former Illinois Avenue School was named in her honor. The Oak Street School was completely destroyed by fire in 1925 and was replaced by a new building, which has been renamed the Mary Todd Early Childhood Center.